Sunday, January 17, 2010

Memphis, TN

I'm in the lobby of my hotel in Memphis waiting for a taxi. its pretty quiet, so the sweet but dumb lady manning reception is watching a movie. Unfortunately, its some kind of horrific creature feature and the faded marble reception is bouncing with the terrifying screams of women and children as they are mauled and torn by some kind of vicious monster. It's a little unnerving. "noo! my dog! save my dog! my dog! Nooo! aaaarheeek!"

I am trying to busy myself with a magazine while I wait but for some reason the table in the lobby is also furnished with back issues of 'Diabetes Forecast'.




So first impressions... Memphis seems a little bleak… To be fair I am here completely off-season so that might explain some of it. There are a whole lot of closed/shut down/empty shop fronts in down town though. I did spot a fair amount of 'Opening hours : 4pm - Midnite' so it should maybe hot up a little as the sun goes down but right now, its a ghost town. Pretty though, especially by the river.
I did manage to find the only restaurant with customers though : Huey's. Its kind of rockin'. Soundtrack includes Cyndi Lauper, Nena, Marvine Gaye, Meatloaf, and The Vapors. Ace.


No comments:

Post a Comment