Wednesday, March 3, 2010

LA, CA


LA was a bit brief to really get to grips with the city. Mostly I wandered and wrote but I had time to see Krys (some of you may remember him as Foxy Cotton) at his place of work "The Pleasure Chest" and Akbar - the silverdale bar that has distressingly little do with Star Wars. Curses.





It was beautifully warm and I did a lot of walking which reminded me how much I enjoy a wander. Where I was staying was mostly residential and all felt like a fancier souped up version of the house John Conner lived in in T2. Fewer cyborgs though. Mores the pity.



On my last day I got the car on Hollywood blvd and drove my first few terrifying miles… I actually had to have someone in the rental place show me how to operate the vehicle since it was an automatic and it turns out you have to be pushing the footbrake to put them 'in gear'. My left foot was punching at a non-existence clutch the whole damn time too and it was not until the following day that natural breaking spasm vanished. Its like driving a gokart. A giant, hefty, lethal gokart. 

Having grabbed the thing I went to pick up Krys from his cute little house and we headed down to Venice beach to get swarmed by seagulls and run about on the rocks.



A couple of times Krys had to remind me to move onto the right hand side of the road but otherwise it was a fairly safe journey, I thought. When I parked the car the attendant offered me the full day for just $5 which may well have been him doing his civic duty by keeping me off the roads as long as possible… or it may have been a slow day.







There was even wildlife on the beach. A handful of confused stoners were manhandling a giant starfish and poking sand dollars. The rocks themselves seemed to have been dedicated to a particular life guard and who knows if he is buried under them but it would be a pretty idyllic site to rot, even with the hippies. Don't bury me there though, I have other (better) ideas.





I ate some ropey beach food the highlight of which was its purchase; having paid my money I was given a one inch square disk with 'Chicken' written on it. Oh how I wished it was space food and swallowing the disk would have given me the experiment of a whole roasted bird, but no. The token was to be swapped for the real food when it was cooked. Curses.

No comments:

Post a Comment